APT SmartCarb

Like others, I've been following this thread and waiting for good news on consistent delivery and positive endoresments of the cast SC before ordering.

To date, I've not seen that ... maybe I'm missing something?

If delivering SCs to the off-road M/C community is neither your core focus, nor key to your business model at this point in time, then maybe you shouldn't bother? If you think you're doing us a favour by letting us send you money for a product that has a pretty sketchy delivery schedule, and some reported issues, wow!

It may be the bomb, but unless you can deliver it as promised, I'll never know.

Given the history, I'll wait patiently and let others jump first ...

Just saying.

Yes you are missing something. What you hear on the forums are usually the problems. Rarely do we get to hear the good results here. What I can tell you is that we are over 90% satisfaction on the first run of cast carbs and even a little higher on the billets. I'm not asking for an endorsement, I am an enthusiast and have ridden bikes all my life, so rest assured we are not going anywhere. My point is we are a small start up company that is trying to do something good for the dirtbike community and stave off the DFI electronic bandwagon for as long as we can.

I refuse to deliver anything that is not as good as we can get it. That's the reason I halted production, we are now on a clear path and have made the corrective actions, and will be receiving updated articles in ten days. IF all that checks out we are back in production with the cast carbs. The billets are always available and we are selling lots of them, not because we are working overtime to upsale everybody that's waiting, it's because they work really well.

So, here's an update to an earlier question: 3beejay3, we are supposed to receive those new 38mm samples in 10 days. After we test those and prove them then we will go back into production with the cast series carbs. From there we are informed it will be 6 weeks to receive the parts for the 38's. THEN a tool change to 36's and another 6 weeks to recieve the 36mm parts. I know this has been a frustrating long process for everybody and especially us, so I do regret the continual delays. Our goal is to make these perfect as possible. My best guess is we will have cast 36mm carbs by February.

Yes you are missing something. What you hear on the forums are usually the problems. Rarely do we get to hear the good results here. What I can tell you is that we are over 90% satisfaction on the first run of cast carbs and even a little higher on the billets. I'm not asking for an endorsement, I am an enthusiast and have ridden bikes all my life, so rest assured we are not going anywhere. My point is we are a small start up company that is trying to do something good for the dirtbike community and stave off the DFI electronic bandwagon for as long as we can.

I refuse to deliver anything that is not as good as we can get it. That's the reason I halted production, we are now on a clear path and have made the corrective actions, and will be receiving updated articles in ten days. IF all that checks out we are back in production with the cast carbs. The billets are always available and we are selling lots of them, not because we are working overtime to upsale everybody that's waiting, it's because they work really well.

So, here's an update to an earlier question: 3beejay3, we are supposed to receive those new 38mm samples in 10 days. After we test those and prove them then we will go back into production with the cast series carbs. From there we are informed it will be 6 weeks to receive the parts for the 38's. THEN a tool change to 36's and another 6 weeks to recieve the 36mm parts. I know this has been a frustrating long process for everybody and especially us, so I do regret the continual delays. Our goal is to make these perfect as possible. My best guess is we will have cast 36mm carbs by February.

Are you guys ISO? Can't blame you for wanting to get it right!!!

Thanks for updating Coreyd,
now I know that I can expect a carb not before end of November, maybe later, not knowing my position in the waiting list. As my order(38mm cast) runs since August 19th "up to 90 days for delivery" is not possible.
This fact is OK, as delays can happen and so on. As a customer that has prepayed I just would expect to be informed not by accidentally reading in a forum but by an dedicated e-mail or newsletter.
I can live with the delay better than with a compromised product. So please take your time, but keep me informed.

Best regards,
Erhard

http://ergraute-enduro-greise.de/mitglieder/g-erhacht/

Erhard yes we have more updates we will post soon and will provide phone calls where applicable. In the meantime please check out our recently released SmartCarb tuning video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAnK4qSlowQ

At your final setting that thing burbled like crazy a 1/8 throttle. That's where a guy spends most of his time in flowing single track. This is why my $1000 carb has sat on the bench for a year and a half. Is there a fix for that?

My keen perception detects a little bitterness on your part. You paid too much, for one thing.
I ran a 38mm die-cast SmartCarb on my clapped-out, high-mileage 2011 GG EC250 and loved it, mostly because I wasn't constantly worried my throttle would stick wide open. That's happened to me too many times with Keihin-equipped machines, the last time destroying my tibia plateau and causing 11 months of recovery. Now I have it on my 2014 Beta 250RR. With the great customer service from Corey, I've worked through some minor issues and made some adjustments. I love it! Actually, I love my Beta and my SmartCarb.
My fuel mileage is great. The bike runs great. And I'm not worried my carb will try to kill me.

My keen perception detects a little bitterness on your part. You paid too much, for one thing.
I ran a 38mm die-cast SmartCarb on my clapped-out, high-mileage 2011 GG EC250 and loved it, mostly because I wasn't constantly worried my throttle would stick wide open. That's happened to me too many times with Keihin-equipped machines, the last time destroying my tibia plateau and causing 11 months of recovery. Now I have it on my 2014 Beta 250RR. With the great customer service from Corey, I've worked through some minor issues and made some adjustments. I love it! Actually, I love my Beta and my SmartCarb.
My fuel mileage is great. The bike runs great. And I'm not worried my carb will try to kill me.

With exchange shipping and taxes that's what it cost to get to Canada. I'm not bitter just would like to have it work correctly that's all. Watch the video that thing is super fat as he rolls on the throttle. In tight single track that right where you are at most of the day. Can't go fast if the bike falls on its face as you roll on out of a slippery corner.
Make sure your air boot is not rubbing on the spring it's a real close on my Beta 300.

The "secret" to making your SmartCarb work well is, balancing the mixture knob and the idle screw settings.

People tend to mess with the mixture knob way too much, thinking it's a fix all.

With exchange shipping and taxes that's what it cost to get to Canada. I'm not bitter just would like to have it work correctly that's all. Watch the video that thing is super fat as he rolls on the throttle. In tight single track that right where you are at most of the day. Can't go fast if the bike falls on its face as you roll on out of a slippery corner.
Make sure your air boot is not rubbing on the spring it's a real close on my Beta 300.

Without being jaded or bitter myself.. I concur!

My billets who knows where.. I sent it to the other side of the country and haven't even been bothered to chase up if my mates been interested in trying it or not? I haven't missed it at all.. why? Because of that off idle richness.

I heard the same thing in the video as he rolls on for the last pull. I also had some questions regarding the air fuel ratio. Watch it stray from its ideal as the pull is done. Seems all the focus was on a good idle, and less so on part throttle performance.

Just my thoughts.

Well I spent the summer with a cast carb on my 2010 ec 250 mostly stock just canon slip on, and cylinder cut down running 185 psi. I will say it did take sometime to get my bike dialed in plus I rode my bike In some really dusty conditions with the filter not sitting right :mad:. anyways once I got that straighten out. I was getting a little frustrated, because I could get the bike to run fine but I could not get rid of a little miss in mid range. which I could always tune out with jetting on my old carbs. I then started to tune my PV to the carb ended up with two washers and one of the needle bearings. I am very happy with my SC now very smooth power through out the full rpm range.

I had the SC on my high-mileage '11 GasGas 250 Six-Days before it suffered an unrelated catastrophic event. Then I bought a '14 Beta 250 from Mr. Beane. I rode 30 miles with the stock 36mm Keihin to establish a benchmark. The bar was set high. I've never ridden a bike jetted that well out of the crate.
Initially the SC was too lean for the Beta in higher rpm's. After consulting with Corey, he swapped to a richer rod. All is good. I've never used my kicker! Starts immediately cold or hot with few exceptions. Smooth idle & smooth power from bottom to top. I'm getting about 40 miles of trail out of the tank before I switch to the Beta's huge reserve. My air boot & spring do make contact but are not showing any wear after almost 20 hours of riding.

13.1 is not super fat for tip in. I'm forever amazed at the trained ear that can tell mixture from a video. I do this every day and I can't tell anything from a video speaker, especially filmed inside a building. Anyway, we are here to help. I will pay for your shipping back to Canada if you want to send your carb in and let us have a look at it.

Without being jaded or bitter myself.. I concur!

My billets who knows where.. I sent it to the other side of the country and haven't even been bothered to chase up if my mates been interested in trying it or not? I haven't missed it at all.. why? Because of that off idle richness.

I heard the same thing in the video as he rolls on for the last pull. I also had some questions regarding the air fuel ratio. Watch it stray from its ideal as the pull is done. Seems all the focus was on a good idle, and less so on part throttle performance.

Just my thoughts.

Jake, drag that carb back from your mates and send it over and let me fix your modifications. The carb tested in the video was new right out of the box just like you would receive it. With one exception. I hadn't already set it like one I would ship, so I could walk people through the process, plus it was breaking in as we were tuning, something we don't normally do at the same time. Understanding few if any have instruments by which to go by it comes down to sound, idle quality and experience with knowing the difference between lean and rich. Without some prior tuning experience it is difficult for people to understand which direction to go in. If you have suggestions of a better way to communicate those distinctions please let me know and I will incorporate that into the trouble shooting videos.

40 miles? That sure doesn't seem like a lot. Are you on the pipe the whole time?

With the Keihin and OEM jetting, the most I could squeeze out of the Beta tank before I hit reserve was 32 miles, 20% less than my worst tankful with the SmartCarb on the bike.

13.1 is not super fat for tip in. I'm forever amazed at the trained ear that can tell mixture from a video. I do this every day and I can't tell anything from a video speaker, especially filmed inside a building. Anyway, we are here to help. I will pay for your shipping back to Canada if you want to send your carb in and let us have a look at it.

Just saw this. I will send it on Monday.

Jake, drag that carb back from your mates and send it over and let me fix your modifications. The carb tested in the video was new right out of the box just like you would receive it. With one exception. I hadn't already set it like one I would ship, so I could walk people through the process, plus it was breaking in as we were tuning, something we don't normally do at the same time. Understanding few if any have instruments by which to go by it comes down to sound, idle quality and experience with knowing the difference between lean and rich. Without some prior tuning experience it is difficult for people to understand which direction to go in. If you have suggestions of a better way to communicate those distinctions please let me know and I will incorporate that into the trouble shooting videos.

Thanks for the offer Corey. I'll see where mines at. Might even start having a play again on the old bikero (or maybe the new one).

Back