APT SmartCarb

thanks corey
its running much better now , i stripped the carb ,checked the choke , empty the tank and filled with fresh fuel,tightened the screws a little more. lowered the float height a little , but can still go some more which i will do during the week, reset the needle to 50 out and then adjusted it while i was riding to about 60 which seemed much better :D

Great, thanks for keeping us posted!

yes i do it the same way but its tight to turn , ive adjusted the small bearing that locates in the grooved bit and that seems better
A little squirt of oil on the plunger to lube the o-ring makes for that nice feeling engagement sensation! I actually took the adjuster off of the carb cap and lubed it from both sides with some silicone grease. Perfection.

A little squirt of oil on the plunger to lube the o-ring makes for that nice feeling engagement sensation! I actually took the adjuster off of the carb cap and lubed it from both sides with some silicone grease. Perfection.

Great , ill have a go at that , now it's back on the bike I can hardly feel the click with the limited clearance .

Can the carb actually be installed and run with a slight roll to port in order to give clearance/access to the clicker?

I recall reading that the SC could tolerate quite a lowering of float bowl fuel level before there was a problem.
Due to the typical ASII overflow issues, I adjusted my float height as soon as I got my 300. I'm now able to run the carb with a slight list just because I don't like the way my new Motion Pro T-3 cable is mashed against the bottom of the tank with the carb vertical. I have had no ill effects.

Can the carb actually be installed and run with a slight roll to port in order to give clearance/access to the clicker?

I recall reading that the SC could tolerate quite a lowering of float bowl fuel level before there was a problem.
Due to the typical ASII overflow issues, I adjusted my float height as soon as I got my 300. I'm now able to run the carb with a slight list just because I don't like the way my new Motion Pro T-3 cable is mashed against the bottom of the tank with the carb vertical. I have had no ill effects.

Yes you can roll it over quite a ways to make access easier. I have to roll my over a good ways on my 2011 EC300 so the chain doesn't smack the bottom of the bowl. GasGas could offer a little longer chain guard, however until they do there are some good aftermarket ones out there. Float level should be slightly over half full with the bowl off.

Mine was 2/3 the way up after lowering the float height , im guessing it was at 3/4 before i tweaked it , no wonder i had problems starting it after it dumped all that into the cylinder.... Mind you the bike was lieing off camber for several seconds before i managed to pick it up

Mine was 2/3 the way up after lowering the float height , im guessing it was at 3/4 before i tweaked it , no wonder i had problems starting it after it dumped all that into the cylinder.... Mind you the bike was lieing off camber for several seconds before i managed to pick it up

Usually me lying on the ground for a while. But I understand what you're saying. They do start easier with the proper float level and a lot less opportunity for flooding. I believe Girard has his about right and he reported earlier that he experiences very little hard starting issues after a tip over, the check valves will take care of all those problems. We are working on a different packaging orientation that will help the floats stay in adjustment during shipping.

Last edited:
thanks corey
its running much better now , i stripped the carb ,checked the choke , empty the tank and filled with fresh fuel,tightened the screws a little more. lowered the float height a little , but can still go some more which i will do during the week, reset the needle to 50 out and then adjusted it while i was riding to about 60 which seemed much better :D

Update:

Everything is on track with the billets for April 1. The cast are looking good too and still on target to have all pre purchased 38s shipped between May 1st through the 10th. Unless we keep receiving large orders then those late pre purchasers will be receiving theirs later in the month. Thanks guys.

Update:

Everything is on track with the billets for April 1. The cast are looking good too and still on target to have all pre purchased 38s shipped between May 1st through the 10th. Unless we keep receiving large orders then those late pre purchasers will be receiving theirs later in the month. Thanks guys.

I hope Jan 28 is not a late pre-order. You and I both want me showing it off at the Gathering of Like-Minded People. ;)

http://www.stimilon.com/smc/index.php

Keep up the good work!

-Dean

The clearance issue of the knob is really no big deal, as after its initially set you will likely never touch it, at least on the trail.

MikeS from KTM talk is an ECEA official, he will have a new billet on a TM 250 at next weeks hare scramble.

I think he will like it on the TM. We put my 36 on my son's 2011 TM 250 MX and it really helped smooth out a rocket of a bike. He will be getting the 38 cast when they come out :D.

Yeah, TM 250s are hard hitting fast bikes, always were. I made a mistake in that they (Cycle Playground)are running a 300, not a 250, in the harescrambles series that will have the SC on it. I wonder if it makes 300s of any brand yank even harder off idle?

My son talked with someone at that shop (Cycle Playground) and they were extreamly helpfull with the questions he had on his TM. My son was very impressed with their knowledge and willingness to answer LOTS of questions. I look forward to reading what they have to say on the SC. I know it works for me :D.

Just curious if smart carb offers a small carb that will fit the small mx bikes. I have a customer that has a 50 cc cobra and always seems to be fighting the jetting on it. Thanks!

I've pre-ordered a SC to use in the high country out in Colorado but I wonder if I'll like it in Tennessee. I presently run a NEDW needle (36mm carb) in my 2011 ec250. I have slow reflexes so the strong but very smooth(slow) power from idle to half throttle works great for me. Is there a way to adjust the Smart Carb to mimic my present set up?

Ken,
I would imagine that a simple richer adjustment to the metering rod would soften the overall power. When you think about it, all these jetting setups for different power delivery just take power away from certain areas. It's just about impossible to get max power everywhere with a PWK, but is a fundamental trait of the metering rod carb. That's why everyone comments on the strong but seamless power. I was thinking the same thing, how cool it would be to go a couple clicks rich if its a real slop fest, and easily back to the baseline setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. Correct AF ratio makes best power regardless of whats delivering the AF. The snap/hit that comes from needles are simple transitions between too much and not enough fuel that alters the curve and gives character. In theory the SmartCarb should provide consistant fuelling for good power everywhere. I don't read this as being overly aggressive power delivery.

It'll then allow you to use other ways to tune the delivery (PV, gearing, throttle cams, etc).

You guys are 100% correct the SmartCarb provides power every where but it's no hit or unexpected snap. The power is very smooth like turning the light switch on with a dimmer button. No dips, hits, flat spots, just smooth strong power. It also feels like it adds a little longer twist on the throttle but this could just be me :D. We bolted mine on my son's 2011 TM 250MX and it tamed that beast so on a GG, I think it would be a match made in bike heaven.

I run a G2, #200 cam. I suspect I will go back to the stock #100 cam. Maybe even try the 2K-2 naked, sans weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back