APT SmartCarb

That is probably sound advice and I am leaning that way as in the past the KTM 300 always had a 38mm. Why they went to the 36 mm on the 11 and forward Husaberg 300 and xc 300 I'm not sure. Given the displacement the 38mm makes sense and I do have the high compression head as well so the 38 SC would probably the best. I plan on talking with Kelly at Motosportz as well. Also the 38mm route has a sooner delivery of the pre-order cast version for May 1st. Hopefully the first production run goes out with the numbers they need. Thanks to all for the advice. (upon further research I guess the 36mm was the norm on 300 ktm, have been target fixated on 38mm air striker for a bit and misquoted what the ktm 300 had. More air/fuel and linear throttle response makes the SC 38mm a good performance add.)

Last edited:
Carbs still on schedule?

Havent read if apt was able to work out the problem with the slide
Hoping Corey will let us know if all is well or if they will delay production
Also hope your feeling better
Stoby

Havent read if apt was able to work out the problem with the slide
Hoping Corey will let us know if all is well or if they will delay production
Also hope your feeling better
Stoby

I'll thank you for the well wishes before I tell you there is definitely going to be a delay. We have struggled all week with our engineers and machinists to try to get a handle on the issue and best steps to move forward. We will make a formal announcement today with anticipated new timelines and what we can do to take care of everyone.

On a similar note I am looking for a new lead development engineer and supply chain manager, if anyone knows of highly motivated people with experience in these areas I would be pleased to see their resumes. Corey

Corey,

Can we have the short answer?:(

Guess I better order some more needles for the PWK then.

Yes this is slightly disapointing considering the cash up front for pre-order "guarantee" of delivery by may 1st. Question - why give a delivery date on pre orders before the product is fully engineered???? No Sarcasm intended but a legitimate question.

I see the price of brass going up;)

I have no dog in this hunt.....my carb is going to RB for rework......

Last edited:
Corey,

Can we have the short answer?:(

Guess I better order some more needles for the PWK then.

I trusted our COO and development team with the projections, now we're forced to go with a new die cast vendor that has it's own machining center that can spec critical sub assemblies.The upside is it ultimately makes us much faster, skips a middle man, allows us to work through the current build without starting over, get going with the FCR replacement model sooner and is what we should have already done. Our formal announcement this afternoon will give a date when we will know for certain what the timeline is. We will do our best to present all available options and will make sure you have the highest quality product in the shortest possible time. Corey

Got the email and May 16th we will get a more specific date.

They are "taking care of us" by allowing us to buy a billet version or we can have our money back....

wow

Yes I was mistaken they will give a refund because I just got one. I'm sure it will be great and maybe ill try it next year but if come may16 they tell us they'll ship by June 16 then I could potentially not have it till half my summer season is done so I've decided to take a stab at the lectron.

lectron

I bet they are getting hit pretty good right now
I'm probably calling tomorrow
I hate jetting
Too bad I really wanted the apt but 800 for a billet I'll try the lectron

Disappointing but....

While I am not pleased about the delay, I am going to stick it out. I think APT has been forthright and honest. And most of all, i have a feeling the carb is going to be worth the wait. Hope it is soon.

While I am not pleased about the delay, I am going to stick it out. I think APT has been forthright and honest. And most of all, i have a feeling the carb is going to be worth the wait. Hope it is soon.

Very true.
They are getting the product right before releasing it to the consumers.

Wacking the throttle open on the SmartCarb is truly orgasmic.:D

I'm with you. I had planned on a delay, weather it be tooling issues or availability. I still feel like the SC has enough advantages over the Lectron to hold out for it.

On a plus note at least they have come forward to let us know exactly whats going on. Some other companies would just give us the run around and make promises of delivery they know they can not achieve.

Thanks Corey for being up front.

Being in an R&D group and dealing with these things in the past, I understand how this happens. While the delay sucks, a totally solid product is better than a release and subsequent problems. Having been on Corey's side of the fence, I'm sure it's not easy to mis the date. I'll stick it out for awhile. $700 billet is just too expensive and the compensation of the APT puts it ahead of the Lectron IMO. PWK works fine in the meantime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here... unless the billet unit became discounted for current pre-order customers, in which case I would likely jump on that.
I am disappointed, but will wait it out. I hope Corey and APT realize that they have just raised the bar for this customer's expectations. That is ultimately the reality of the situation.

Ill likely still buy one next year but this year I can't wait a potentially long wait. For some it might not be an issue. I hope it works out the way Corey says it will work out for you guys and you don't end up waiting months

Got the email and May 16th we will get a more specific date.

They are "taking care of us" by allowing us to buy a billet version or we can have our money back....

wow

At least you're all getting emails. None received here.

Same here... unless the billet unit became discounted for current pre-order customers, in which case I would likely jump on that.
I am disappointed, but will wait it out. I hope Corey and APT realize that they have just raised the bar for this customer's expectations. That is ultimately the reality of the situation.

I agree.. But they cannot produce enough billet models too fill the pre-order list at any price thats evenly close to what we've already deposited.

Overall I expected setbacks, but not back to square one. Its a bad place to be and I'm pretty peeved, considering its a decent sum of money thats been saved/used/gathering interesting? elsewhere than my account. No doubt I'll wait it out in hope that a new date will be near, but after waiting close to 5months I can't see anything happening any sooner than another 5 months honestly.

The other option is I just transfer the funds direct from APT to Lectron, who in comparison have been able to put a carb in my bike without a single cent being spent on my part. Its the promise of the SC out performing that is keeping us all waiting patiently.. but how long will the average person wait?

I agree.. But they cannot produce enough billet models too fill the pre-order list at any price thats evenly close to what we've already deposited.

Overall I expected setbacks, but not back to square one. Its a bad place to be and I'm pretty peeved, considering its a decent sum of money...

Agreed, but if the billet unit was priced at the midway point between its current price and cast price to pre-order customers in order to mitigate the issue, I would probably pony up and be quite satisfied at the resolution. Not everyone would, of course, but you can't please everyone.
Currently, I would say very few pre-order customers are pleased.

Back