APT SmartCarb

I'm just learning of the cast delivery delay as I just got back from Moab where I put the 38mm billet through its paces. So sorry to hear about it.

A short report:
-It took a couple of rides to get the clicker dialed in just where I like it. Once there, a couple of clicks either way makes a noticeable difference.
-It takes a few more kicks when cold to start than the ASII did. But once warmed up, any half-hearted clumsy stab at the kick starter brings it to life. Never had to kick it more than once to restart on any ride all week.
-The check valves work as advertised: No flooding after several tip overs and one good get-off that can be seen here: http://youtu.be/sP9091VLpPE
-I can not begin to adequately describe how smooth the power delivery is. Not a hiccup or hesitation from idle to WOT.
-The 38mm gives noticeably more bottom end and a lot more top end.

Again, sorry to learn of the delay: Hang in there, it will be worth it!!!

No email here in the UK either. I don't mind the wait at the moment but it would have been nice to get the email rather than finding out on the forum as I don't check it that often.

This why I didn't pony up in the first place, I will only buy it when it's in production and ready to be shipped, prefer my money making interest for me rather than someone else..

No email here in the UK either. I don't mind the wait at the moment but it would have been nice to get the email rather than finding out on the forum as I don't check it that often.

We sent email's to everyone who registered information, either with their order or by signing up. I do apologize if you did not receive information.

Here's a little more information, I know this won't please many, but I pulled everybody together yesterday to make a decision to offer a manufacturer rebate of $75.00 off the billet carb price to those pre purchasers willing to upgrade. I know its not a lot I wish I could do more. For another $325.00 you can have a billet SC in the size of your choice right now.

These are our most refined billets to date and in regards of value and bang for buck, I think a little review might help. Some may argue, but I believe we have validated our points.

1.Fully altitude and temperature compensating (no jetting-ever)
2.Typical 8-12% gains in HP.
3.Improved bottom end, mid AND large over rev.
4.Large gains in fuel economy
5.Lower emissions
6.Fully contained, little to no evaporative losses and no fuel spillage on ground
7.Externally adjustable
8.Electric like throttle control

I ask you to name me another single product that you can put on with a couple hose clamps that can do all that and I think you'll realize an SC at almost any price is a bargain.

Just sayin.......:cool:

Yep! I contacted Liz. Was just an error when moving my address from database to another. All updated.

I'm just learning of the cast delivery delay as I just got back from Moab where I put the 38mm billet through its paces. So sorry to hear about it.

A short report:
-It took a couple of rides to get the clicker dialed in just where I like it. Once there, a couple of clicks either way makes a noticeable difference.
-It takes a few more kicks when cold to start than the ASII did. But once warmed up, any half-hearted clumsy stab at the kick starter brings it to life. Never had to kick it more than once to restart on any ride all week.
-The check valves work as advertised: No flooding after several tip overs and one good get-off that can be seen here: http://youtu.be/sP9091VLpPE
-I can not begin to adequately describe how smooth the power delivery is. Not a hiccup or hesitation from idle to WOT.
-The 38mm gives noticeably more bottom end and a lot more top end.

Again, sorry to learn of the delay: Hang in there, it will be worth it!!!
Andoman-what was your final setting 50- 60 clicks???? I'm at 50 and dont like the idle.plug looks great.

We sent email's to everyone who registered information, either with their order or by signing up. I do apologize if you did not receive information.

Here's a little more information, I know this won't please many, but I pulled everybody together yesterday to make a decision to offer a manufacturer rebate of $75.00 off the billet carb price to those pre purchasers willing to upgrade. I know its not a lot I wish I could do more. For another $325.00 you can have a billet SC in the size of your choice right now.

These are our most refined billets to date and in regards of value and bang for buck, I think a little review might help. Some may argue, but I believe we have validated our points.

1.Fully altitude and temperature compensating (no jetting-ever)
2.Typical 8-12% gains in HP.
3.Improved bottom end, mid AND large over rev.
4.Large gains in fuel economy
5.Lower emissions
6.Fully contained, little to no evaporative losses and no fuel spillage on ground
7.Externally adjustable
8.Electric like throttle control

I ask you to name me another single product that you can put on with a couple hose clamps that can do all that and I think you'll realize an SC at almost any price is a bargain.

Just sayin.......:cool:

Sounds like a bait-and-switch deal.

Did you try adjusting the idle after the bike was warm and your final setting was done?

Yes John, bike was completely warm, two things stick out .1 low float bowl level
2. new filter may have been over saturated. at idle it had a surging sound.
one side of the electrode was tan the other white no spooge at silencer
I m at 50 clicks out now,may just be the float level??? thanks all...

Yes John, bike was completely warm, two things stick out .1 low float bowl level
2. new filter may have been over saturated. at idle it had a surging sound.
one side of the electrode was tan the other white no spooge at silencer
I m at 50 clicks out now,may just be the float level??? thanks all...

Wiggle the choke lever a little side to side when running and see if engine changes tone, could be leaking a little there. Float level should be roughly half full .775" from top of bowl to top of fuel with bowl off. If you feel the choke may be leaking slightly let me know and I will send you a new tighter plunger assm. Also check clamps for air leaks, especially intake side.

Hi guys,

for those who still have to wait for their SC or have not decided yet, I want to tell you my impressions of the carburetor. Maybe this might help you on your way...

I decided last December to go for the billet as I already supposed a delay on the cast version as production is quite tricky. In early April, after a long time of waiting I finally obtained my 38mm billet SC for my 300 GasGas.

Normally I ride very technical single trails, but sometimes also MX. With my Keihin I have never found the perfect tuning. It now seems finally to be over. Meanwhile, I've moved the SC for about 12h and can report the following:

- installation very easy by lifting the subframe
- the engine now starts much better, mostly on the first soft kick
- clearly less fuel consumption
- perfect idle even on steep downhill
- very linear engine without any hesitations, like an elektro
- significantly more torque in the lower speed range
- no leak of gas on tip over
- valves work perfectly

It is really a little wonder that this simple idea took now years to be discovered and is working so much better than this complex jet carbs. But this exact seems to be the spirit of inventions.

If someone is playing with the idea of the billet offered by Corey for the cast delay assume the billet carb looks great individual, and you participate in a prototype, which will be certainly successfully in the market in the next months.
Just my two cents...

Totally agree. I've had my SC for some time now and it's the best mod I've ever done to a bike in over fourty years of bike ownership. Mine performs like a champ on my 08 165 Husky with perfect idle, smooth throttle control, better power everywhere, and I never have to touch it now that it's back on my bike and dialed in. Speaking of dialing in, it couldn't be any easier :D. On my Husky I don't even need to get off the bike! BTW this carb has been passed around the country a couple of times and tested on my son's 2011 TM 250 MX all with the same excellent results. Hold on guys you will be glad you did. I was so furstrated with the Mikuni on my Husky 165 I didn't want to wait and got the 36mm billet unit and think it was well worth the money. Hard to put a price on all the trouble free carb miles I put on since bolting it on.

38mm SC Race Review

Andoman-what was your final setting 50- 60 clicks???? I'm at 50 and dont like the idle.plug looks great.

The day after I got my carb, I posted over at KTMTalk asking if anyone was having to go so many clicks lean to get it right. I was a lean as I could go. Corey read my post and PM'ed me that a new metering rod was on the way. With the new rod I have only had to go about 10 clicks lean from the base setting. I notice that when my plug is perfect, I get a little surging at idle. A click richer virtually eliminates that.

I raced Virginia City Grand Prix on Saturday. Took 7th in my age group: Over 50 Amateur. I was sweating the fuel economy because the course was long this year: 27 mi./lap.
VERY rocky, dusty, and hot. For those familiar we went up Sutro Canyon. Toughest course in the 13 years I have raced the event.

THANKS YOU VCMC CLUB, especially Janie ;-) FOR ALL THE HARD WORK!!!

I only got the clicker really dialed in for the last ride in Moab. It was a moderately paced ride and I got 31 MPG. I was hoping that full on race pace wouldn't hurt that number too much. It was also a test of the altitude compensation capability because I dialed it in at Moab (4000 ft.) and the high point of the Virginia City Course is over 7000 feet.

Milage: I pitted after 2 laps and never hit reserve. I went 4 laps total. Only 3 pros were fast enough to start on a 5th lap before the 4 hour time limit. My last 2 laps, 54 mi. total, used 1.86 gal of fuel. 29 MPG. I can live with that! My ASII was getting me 27MPG. So a 7% improvement. Its important to note that the fuel mileage improvement also comes with more power everywhere. So it is definitely a greater than 7% improvement in efficiency. Corey has stated that fuel economy gains are greater with the 36mm. I'm more than happy with the modest improvement that I'm getting with my 38mm.

Altitude compensation: Honestly, I never even thought about it until after the race. It ran exactly the same in Moab, Utah at 4000 feet and 40 degrees F as it did 3 days later in Virginia City, Nevada at 7000 feet and 80 degrees F. Gobs and gobs of smooth linear power.

One interesting note: One piece of evidence that the SC is doing a better a better job of metering the fuel is how quickly after starting a cold motor it smooths out. After a very short warm up (just about when the first bit of heat can be felt on the engine by hand) the throttle response and power-band is as smooth as if it were fully warmed up. This is at temps of 40-50 degrees F.

I'm a very, very satisfied customer. Thanks, Corey.

PS: I mentioned earlier in this thread that it took a few more kicks to light off when cold. Scratch that. I chucked a virtually new NGK BR8ES in favor of a BR8EIX fine wire iridium plug. 2 kicks cold and never more than 1 when warmed up. I picked up my bike in Sutro a couple of times on the last lap. One single weak, exhausted stab at the kicker started her right up each time.

Great job Andoman! This was my second year racing the VCGP and man was it harder than last year. I had hoped to get a carb sorted out before that event but stock PWK 36mm worked fine and I finished 3 laps and 31st in my class of over 40. Still thinking of the cast model when it comes available. Your youtube link didnt work but I found the lawn dart video and it was pretty epic. Thankfully it wasnt too hard a wreck to keep you out of the race.

Thanks, alpinehusa. Don't know what to say about the link. It opens right up for me when I click on it.

Jake asked me a couple of questions in a PM about the richness of the first needle I recieved from APT and the off idle throttle response. I'll share the answers here:

-There was a mixup and I was sent a carb meant for a gent in Germany and his 125 road race bike. The rod was the only difference and I'm guessing it was so rich due to the smaller signal on the smaller displacement bike. I have the standard A100 rod and it is working as advertised.

-The off idle response is absolutely perfect. Clean with no hesitation whatever. The SC manual states that the clicker has almost all its effect in the first 1/3 of the power band. Gone is the typical jetting fight between the air screw, pilot, and initial needle taper/diameter that seems to give so many riders fits.
I've attached an image of my new plug after 5 1/2 hours of racing. The old plug used with my ASII was one shade leaner.

-What I appreciate most may be a draw back to some: The power delivery is smooth and linear. If a rider is looking for a pronounced hit, I don't think he can find it in the carb.

Attachments

• APTplug.jpg
    APTplug.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 67
"Hit" is simply non-linear power. If you increase the power in the area before the hit is felt more than after, you have both more and more linear power.

Im more than happy to wait for my pre order. But my friend who is going to get my AsII as an upgrade to his PJ is a little bummed.:D

Back